Friday, June 25, 2010

This is how our garden grows....slowly.

So we decided to hop on the garden train....it was inspired by Barbara Kingsolver and family's book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Since our yard is 100% shade. Really. We are doing one at camp in hopes of turning it into something the boys at camp can experience also. Our girls love it and have seen it happen from day one!

Here we are picking some wild blackberries near the garden. We would pick them and the little one would gobble them up before we could get a pile in our bucket.
The garden has been one of the most fulfilling/ hardest things we've ever done. Most good things in life are. For me, it's because I really have no idea what I'm doing and I like to do things well the first time. So we prepared the soil, but it's the first time to plant here so the conditions are rough and our veggies aren't growing that fast.

But we have put some mushroom compost, Plant Tone, hardwood mulch (which we hope will make the soil better next year once tilled in and makes our path less muddy to walk) and lots of water, and it seems to be doing better. Here's what we are growing: bell peppers, jalapenos, rosemary, tomatoes galore, bush beans, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, cantaloupe and watermelon.

Us working in the bush beans.
Our squashes are coming up nicely and starting to flower; our beans are about to go crazy; the bell peppers are growing and we do have some tomatoes.

Here it is! Growing slowly but steadily!

Near the green stakes are the bush beans- much bigger just a few days later!
Some of our crop:


We are trying to take picture along the way so we can learn from this experiment! Enjoy the process with us and any advice is welcome....especially if you can tell me what the yellow spots on my watermelon are.....

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Looks good!! I tried to grow a garden in college...oh the laughs my roomies and I had when we found the tomatoes plants could be used for a good fire starter! :)

Your girls will love this. My dad had a huge garden when we were growing up and we loved it. We had some amazing veggies!

Unknown said...

it's so awesome that you guys are doing that. i bet the girls are learning so much doing it with you. hope it all comes in well!!!
no advice for you as we have done veggie boxes on our deck for the first time, we do have tomatoes, one bell pepper and one zucchini grown in and that is exciting!
here's to first timers!

Rose Gold said...

This is really one great adventure! Thanks for sharing a day in your garden. The plants looks good and hopefully the harvest will taste good in the table. LOL. I too have my garden and actually, I always get my time harvesting and cooking them for dinner! LOL

Lisa Smith said...

brooklyn would LOVE your garden! she asks us daily for one! can't wait to see how it grows!

crystal fish said...

Your garden is great for a beginner. It is well organized. I really like how you named your plants using stones. Somewhere I read that the best watermelons have a large yellow spot where they rested on the ground. It is sweeter and crunchy they say. Keep up the good work!